Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Windmills: Volendam, Edam, Gouda (more than just cheeses!)

Jake and I went on a windmill excursion to Volendam, Gouda and Edam (both famous for their cheeses :D) while we were staying in Amsterdam. Since I have so many photos, I thought this might break it up for those of you with low computer screen tolerance...


And, of course, more pictures! :)



We went to Volendam, Edam, and Gouda and visited a cheese factory, the windmills (they promised us there would be a historical reenactment - I'm really into those - but I guess since it's the off season, they didn't bother) and a wooden shoe factory. It was all a bit too commercialized for me. And that upset me, but it was all right in the end. I brought home some delicious cheese anyway - so their hard sell marketing worked on me, at least!













At the cheese factory:




































me in front of windmills

And the farm area:



cute sign, right?

a goat


And the wooden shoe factory:





Here is a the guide (wearing a traditional Dutch fisherman's outfit) demonstrating how to make the shoes on a machine. He mentioned that they would take 10 hours per shoe in the "old days" before this type of technology. Yikes!


wine holder - my kind of wooden shoe!

















<-- rows of shoes










And photos of downtown Volendam:









































No comments:

Post a Comment