Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

...a nod to Schubert

Hello!...or, should I say "Gruess Gott" or something similarly Austrian??

This is my blog about Austria,

where I will be teaching on a Fulbright!
Or, rather, a Fulbright-type position.
I will be leaving September 19, to start school on October 4. I will be teaching English to high school students and I AM EXCITED! I have only been to Austria once, when I was studying abroad in Berlin. I went to Vienna for a weekend with my friend Angela. It was awesome! We basically went to churches, farmers markets and wine shops...my idea of a vacation!
The title of my blog is lifted from Schubert's Der Wanderer. Completely appropriate, wouldn't you agree? I will attempt to document my life in Austria and discipline myself to actually update it. In the past, I have not been the most, um, dedicated to blogging. My resolution is to write something at least twice a month...let's see how well I do by mid-November.
I don't quite know what it is that turns me off about blogging. Maybe it's the tech part. When I have *better things* to do (apologies) I am really bad at sitting in front of a computer and recounting all the crap I did. Also, the last time I actually kept a diary, I was thirteen...
Not that I don't love to write! I love to write. I live to write. I am happiest when I write. I just never seem to get the hang of writing about myself. It all seems so boring and trite when it comes down to me, my Bic pen and a leather-bound journal. With fictional characters, there's always a veneer of protection...these are Character X's emotions, situations and complications, not mine! These problems are fake (with grains of truth) and these emotions are what I would feel if I were experiencing these things...when everything steps back into the indicative, I feel too exposed, too embarrassed to admit my pondering to a public audience.
But, hey, blogs are the wave of the future! They make you hip, and interesting, and somehow legitimize your time abroad. If you don't have a blog, people think you just lied about going abroad and have just holed up in your room, being weird and antisocial.
With this in mind, I feel I can save more insights such as these for when I am actually in Austria.

Viel Vergnuegen!

1 comment:

  1. Or, as they used to say in the Volkswagen ads...viel Fahrnügen

    ReplyDelete