Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

So long, Farewell

I am planning a "going-away" party!

When I studied abroad in school, I never really felt the need for one of these. I actually don't really care for going-away parties. They seem so self-promotional and egocentric. But, as has been said to me by a number of people (who shall remain nameless...mostly because it's been said quite a bit and I can't actually remember who exactly said this at what exact point), I need to get out more and be more social.

So, here I am, throwing myself a going-away party. I even put up a Facebook event (which is apparently how it's done now) and invited everyone I could think of, and even people I know won't be able to attend. Why is that? Well, being a stickler for Emily Post and other such fuddy-duddies, I know that it is more polite to invite people you a) can't stand and b) can't go anyway if you know they will hear about it somewhere and feel slighted by not being asked. There you go. Never assume that just because someone can't attend, or is not very close to you, does not mean that they will not feel unduly disliked, ignored, etc., even if they (were they able to attend) have any inkling of a desire to actually go. People do things they don't like to do all the time, just to feel included. People are funny that way.

Also, no gifts. That makes things easier (not that anyone will think of buying me anything anyway) and not just because I have no space whatsoever in any of my baggage. I've been packing and repacking trying to squeeze everything in, and it is just no use. Amanda, the woman at my bank, when I came in to tell her that I would be in Europe (so that she would not freeze my account), allowed me to borrow a mattress pad she used when she backpacked around the world in college. How absolutely generous of her! I am so very grateful; and yet, there seems to be no room in my luggage for anything that large, considering I can only take one "free" suitcase (thanks, Aer Lingus) and that is already loaded with crap...clothes, appliance converters and so forth...which I apparently need. Well, I am going to be in the Alps over winter. What do you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment