Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

What's in a name?

Austrians are really into nicknames.

I don't quite get it myself. I was skeptical when students asked me what my nickname was at the beginning of the year, and surprised when they told me everyone - everyone - has a nickname in Austria.

I had to tell them, simply, that I go by Vanessa. Period.

I do not have some odd variant or shortened pseudonym. But, in Austria, this is weird. Why go by your full name, which is confusing and repetitive (since 80% of them share their name with some Catholic saint), when you can go by something much more fun? And personalized?

For example:
Johann/Johannes/Hans = Hansi, Hannes, Hansel, Jo-Jo.
Franz = Franzi, Fritz
Georg = Gegi, Girgl, Jorgi, Schorschi (only in Vienna)


Magdalena = Maggi, Lena, Leni, Maxi
Anna = Anja, Anka, Nanna, Nannerl (for older women)
Elisabeth = Lissi, Lieserl, Sisi, Betti, Elsi

...and so forth.

If there is more than one Johann in class, one is Hansi and the other is Jo-Jo...keeping in mind that the kids stay in the same class from practically the beginning of their school careers, these monikers are something they will have for the rest of their lives, presumably, and, thus, careful thought should be gone into how one would like to be called. The kids' absolute favorite thing is to call each other by their nicknames to confuse me (because I only have a list of their given names). But I can outsmart them yet! Wait until I start using "Schnapsi" and "Kobi" and "Lieserl" and "Topsi" on them...

Nothing freaks out a teenager like a teacher knowing what they're up to...mwahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment