Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Famous Austrians IV: Fritz Lang

Fritz Lang with monocle
One of my absolute favorite directors, Fritz Lang, is the latest "famous Austrian" to be honored on this blog. Expressionism is one of the art movement I find myself most drawn to, and I closely relate my own artistic output closely to Expressionism.

Because Lang is so often associated with Berlin, having worked for UFA during the Weimar era before leaving Europe for Hollywood, it is unsurprising that many might mistake him for being German. On the contrary, Fritz Lang was born and grew up in Vienna, born to a Catholic father and Jewish mother, and attended the Technische Universität, studying art and civil engineering.

My obsession with silent film began with Lang: Metropolis, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, M and Die Niebelungen, to name a few. Also his talkies: Lilliom staring Charles Boyer (another fave - made while Lang was in France after fleeing Nazi Germany), Hangmen also Die, and Clash by Night with Marilyn Monroe.

Although many "film critics" consider much of his stuff to be simple, moralistic film noir, I don't really give a damn. His films are stunning visual masterpieces that can be simply enjoyed, or analyzed to bits...the choice is yours, and I have mine. 

Plus, what fashion sense (see photo)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment