Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mieses Karma

This novel, translated into English as Bad Karma, was recommended to me by one of my students. The plot, roughly, is about Kim Lange, a TV talk show moderator in Berlin, who is hit and killed by a rogue satellite and reincarnated into an ant - because she was really mean to other people. Throughout the novel, she tries to become reunited with her family, her husband and young daughter, and gather good karma to eventually be reincarnated into a person. Or reach Nirvana. Whichever.

I would describe the novel as Bridget Jones' Diary meets a primer on Buddhist philosophy -- but without a lot of actual "philosophy" attached. It's mostly a chick-lit driven plot. Reading how Kim is still obsessed with this man she had an affair with right before her death basically explains how she was reincarnated into a bug. I enjoy the novel, and found it an entertaining read, but I wouldn't put much weight into the description of reincarnation. It doesn't actually follow any spiritual tradition...unfortunately. And it's no Cloud Atlas, another novel dealing with reincarnation on, I think, a more metaphysical and philosophical level.

I can say with conviction, however, that I would read more David Safier (his other two novels, Jesus lebt mich and Plötzlich Shakespeare also deal with reincarnation and past life regressions) over most other chick-lit novels, including the English-language writers Meg Cabot, Sophie Kinsella and Laura Weisberger. And, yes, although I hate to admit it, I've read them all, Shopaholic included. Everyone likes a little trash and escapism every once in a while, and if you say you don't, you either need to relax or check your ego.

The message of Mieses Karma is a great one. Any pop-fiction dealing with reincarnation on a level where the average person can understand is bound to not only bring the issue of spirituality and reincarnation into the mainstream, but also to allow people to think about life after death in a way that maybe they hadn't before. To paraphrase this review: I will never step on another ant as long as I live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment