Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring - Awakening!

Spring has sprung,
The grass is riz. 
I wonder where 
The birdies is? 


The weather has been beautiful here, if not a little freaky. With temperatures a month ahead of schedule, and articles like this one, the pessimistic global warming vibe rears its head. Yes - global warming is real, and it is becoming all the more imminent and dangerous the closer the earth comes to a tipping point. Most people don't want to hear that, though, when it's 65 F in late March. 

Though it is arguably imperative that people do thing about such things, spending a Saturday afternoon strolling Vienna's Innere Stadt and having an ice cream at the season's opening of one of the Eiscafes lining the main drag is much more to the liking of most.  It's how I spent my day yesterday. And I had a lot of fun.

I went to the MAK (Museum of Applied Arts, or Museum für angewandte Kunst) which is mostly furniture and architecture, but it's free on Saturdays, so it's been on my list of museums to go see (being the cheapskate I am). Interestingly, I found a chair in the museum (on display, not to sit on) that is exactly like the chairs in my apartment last year, which I used with impunity - sitting on them, standing on them, spilling things on them. They're from the 1890s, apparently, and neat-looking hardwood chairs (very sturdy) with embossed leather backs and seats. And apparently art. Who knew?  I'm starting to think nearly everything in Austria can be classified as "art" in some way or another. Beautiful, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment