Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

"Hey, Vanessa - No, Not You. The Other One"

I'm one of those people who grew up with relatively few people sharing my name.

Unlike all the "Sarahs" and "Katies" and "Emilys" etc., etc. I spent the first seven years of school never running into another Vanessa. This made me feel special. And unique. And, ultimately, superior.

Much as I hate to admit it now, I was  - for better or worse - possessive of my name. When I met my first "other" Vanessa in 7th grade, I was a bit taken aback. And uninterested in being friends with her. Because she stole my name.

Now, I have been over this stupid complex for quite a while. I bump into other Vanessas now and then...but none more than in Europe. Although the name "Vanessa" has been in the top 100 baby name list in the USA since the 1970s, it seems as if Wisconsinites prefer to give their daughters different names - like variations on Catherine (Katherine, Catrina/Katrina, Katie, Caitlin, Katelyn, etc., ad nauseum) as an example.

However, I think - in general - the name Vanessa is a more popular one in Europe. Why do I say this? I keep bumping into other people with my name. Not that I mind, or anything. But it does lead to some confusion. Especially, as the English assistant, I hear my name being called by students all the time - for help, to answer a question, and so forth. But more often than not, that, "Hey, Vanessa!" I hear in the hallway is intended for another student.

The time has come to shrug it off. Or, perhaps ask myself - who am I, really?

No comments:

Post a Comment