Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Camp Happenings

It's a bit difficult to get online, as I think I've mentioned, with the kids around, because I'm basically on from the time they get up until they get to bed. But, finally, I'm getting around to uploading some of the photos I took and recounting some of the happenings at summer camp.

Hundertwasser statue in Zell am See
On my day off, I went to Zell am See, which is very beautiful and very touristy. I've been getting pangs of nostalgia here, which is curious as I've never been to this part of Austria before. I think my brain is compartmentalizing my new experiences into spots it previously reserved for summers of my childhood, which is where I'm getting this "deja vu."

My childhood summers often consisted of going to Door County (nature + tourist trap shops) and visiting my grandparents (who owned a farm just outside a resort town in Minnesota). The main difference I suppose is the geography (more mountains), the type of tourist frequenting the tourist trap (Arabs as opposed to Chicagoans) and the culture of the locals (Austrian as opposed to Norwegian-Minnesotan). You can see where my brain would draw similarities, I hope?


Guys in Trachten playing
traditional Alpine instruments 

Overall, I've really enjoyed my time at camp. It was hectic at first, draining, but now I feel like I've finally got into the swing of things and now I have to leave?! 

I expected certain things, which did not happen. Certain things just happened, which I was glad about, upset about, and just went with eventually. Some of the things working at a summer camp has taught me: be punctual; be flexible; start your day with a smile. And if you can't, fake it.



The things the kids loved to do sort of surprised me, not necessarily being the things I'd love to do at summer camp. The experience sort of made me revert to middle school...to my surprise at first. I kind of hated middle school as a big nerd with no friends. But the majority of the kids at camp were between 13-14 and that's where they'd be at. Middle school, I mean. Not nerds with no friends. Well, some of them to be fair. But most of the kids (seeing as they applied to a sports camp) are jocks, or at least sporty types. Some are easy-going, some are pampered brats; some have traveled around the world, some had never left their home country before 2 weeks ago. Almost all of the kids loved the pool (check) but hated going to the lake (what?!?). They liked biking, kayaking and tubing (they should!) but hated hiking. I came to the conclusion that they either tolerated nature, or liked it, but in moderation. Any strenuous exercise that was not 1) a game or 2) confined to a man-made structure was a no-go. Whatever. They'll learn.

snow in July
kids at the mountain hut

 The one thing the kids LOVE across the board, though, is Secret Friends, which is basically like leaving an anonymous note to someone you like, someone who did something nice for you, etc., to make them feel good/know your feelings/whatever. They are read during the all camp meeting by the counselors and then the note is given to the camper to keep. Sometimes there's dress-up involved. Sometimes there are meaner notes which need to be disposed of (positive attitudes = secret friends). I've gotten a few...and I keep them. My favorite was: "Vanessa, you're awesome! You care about us so much!!" Because I do.

waiting for Secret Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment