Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer Camp Update: Halfway into the Second Session

Last weekend, I said goodbye to the first round of campers at the Munich airport on Saturday and said hello to the new round on Sunday. The dynamic is completely different already. These kids seem more chilled out and relaxed, although I've already got a bit of homesickness cropping up.







I was assigned to the youngest kids (10-12). They are designated by color groups: yellow, red, or blue. I've had some experience with this age group, but not as much as with teenagers and high schoolers. I like the age group well enough, and I've had some less than stellar experiences with the 13-14 year old age range. Teenagers can be tough critics and quite...irresolute? Unsympathetic? Egocentric? Well, I won't sling mud. But seriously, it's a stage we all go through.


Sigmund Thun Klamm (gorge)
The camp is situated right in the mountains - really a paradise! Here are some photos: 




view from my room at camp




Here are some pictures from the Counselor Hunt in Zell am See. The game is basically a mega game of hide-and-seek where the campers look for the counselors dressed in ridiculous costumes and collect signatures to prove they found them. Below? Some of my colleagues!
getting ready for the Counselor Hunt in Zell


the kids look for the counselors in costumes






















The kids have been doing some remarkable things: climbing the Krimml Wasserfall (the largest waterfall in Austria). tramping through the Hohe Tauern National Park, swimming in beautiful glacial lakes, climbing Alpine mountains, hiking to mountain huts, playing sports and doing camp-type activities like egg drops, costume contests, arts and crafts (I led a papier-mâché session last week) and all sorts of other wonderful things. It's been quite rainy since the second set came, which is unfortunate because it limits the amount of time the kids can spend in the great outdoors. I feel a bit cooped up myself, seeing as I have to teach German every morning Monday through Friday. But, c'est la vie.





kids in gondola

view from our gondola to the mountain hut



No comments:

Post a Comment