Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Post 100: Is it a Milestone?

Checking my Blogger dashboard the other day, I realized that I had 99 posts published on Wo meine Rösen blüh’n...which means in turn that this is my 100th blog post! Pretty exciting stuff.

Not that I rely on chintzy gimmicks like 100th blog posts to gather readers...or legitimacy as a blogger. I just thought it would be fun to mention.

I've thought a lot recently about what this blog does mean to me - what sorts of relevant issues can I bring up? How does blogging affect my "real" life? I've realized that, despite what I thought nearly a year ago when I began this blog, I actually enjoy blogging, and I actively search for things to blog about. My entire perspective has changed. I feel a lot more interested in the world around me, perhaps because I have a productive (or, "productive") outlet for my random and scattered thoughts. It's really nice, actually.

I probably mentioned at some point that I never liked diary writing as a kid. I always thought it sounded forced, or boring, or both. I admired great writers, biographers, etc., who could pen the entire lives (in excruciating detail) of famous persons. Or people like Anne Frank, who wrote her most private desires, hopes, musings, and expected them to be published. I always though my musings paled in comparison, so I quit writing them down. For the sake of posterity, and the sake of a glimpse of myself as a 12-year-old, this was not the best idea, but it happens to the best of us. Maybe I could have come up with precocious brainstorms, beguiled the page...but then again, what I remember of my diary entries was who liked whom in the 7th grade, and what the cafeteria served for lunch. Not the makings of the next Great American Novel. Oh well.

I'm getting a bit worried that no one reads my blog except my mom (who, by the way, did say it was brilliant). I don't get a lot of feedback aside from that, though I would like it made clear that I don't need a lot of feedback or encouragement to continue. I did, however get a disparaging remark from a fellow teaching assistant, who was interested in starting his own blog. I told him Blogger was what I used, to which he retorted, "I wasn't really asking you. I want to start a good blog."

He should speak to the guys at Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment