Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Weingut -- Wein? Gut!

Monday I went to the Weinviertel with Klaus and Ilsa - my "host people" (for lack of a better term). I also got to meet Ilsa's mother ("Oma" - she did introduce herself, but, um...when you're used to being called "Grandma" you kind of don't mind if people don't know your real given name...)


It was really awesome! We sampled some typical Austrian wines (mostly Grüner Veltliner) but also some Rieslings, a Traminer...etc. We went to three different Weinguts, that is, wineries...or wine-growing estates...


Each was different and offered different specialties, which I enjoyed. I tried to keep them all straight, but by the end of the afternoon (it must be said) I just had had too much wine! Each place is family-run and -owned, so there is a real homey atmostphere. Klaus and Ilsa told me that they had been going to one of the wine farms for over 20 years, and knew the whole family. I found that kind of amazing.


Another interesting aspect of Austrian wine culture is the Heurige, which means both "new wine" and the place where the vintners showcase their new wines once they come out -- which should be pretty soon! Exciting stuff. Depending on whether the Heurige is owned by the vintners, or by a local Gasthaus (Pension), they open between mid-October and early November. 


Here are some photos of the last place we went.




Unfortunately, there are no photos of the other 2 places. One was in a dungeon (OK. Wine cellar) which did not make for a photographic scene.


The second place was actually in the home of the Weinbauer and, yes, they introduced me as the American teaching assistant (probably a precaution against my sitting there looking stupid) but I still feel uncomfortable taking pictures in people's homes uninvited. I don't want to get a reputation as one of those Americans, you know. Even if it is for the sake of my blog.


Below are the grapes they gave us at the second place. I've eaten them all ready and they were super yummy!


The one downside is that they had seeds. Which makes for a messy snack, but even better, you know they didn't put disgusting chemicals on the grapes to make them "seedless" i.e. infertile.































A closer look at the grapes -->








AND...the piece de resistance: 



This is all of the wine Klaus and Ilsa bought...over 300 Euros' worth!!! My kind of people :)






No comments:

Post a Comment