Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Woman

I picked up an Austrian fashion magazine yesterday - Woman.


Now Woman might be little know outside of Austria, but it is full of advice for the German-speaking Frau.

I now have the vocabulary necessary to discuss yeast infections, adding volume to my hair, what's up with Vanessa Paradis' new Glam Rock look, and I know the general Austrian reaction to women wearing burkas - as expressed by this chick living in Vienna who decided to try one on for a day (sort of like the women's magazine version of Black Like Me).


Plus, I got a free sample of hand lotion, a tear-out home makeover guide by Diane von Furstenburg and department store coupons for 20% off...exciting, no? All for €2.50

It's always really great to experience the less-obvious parts of cultural immersion. Like, obviously, people all over the world read magazines. I read magazines. And rarely does it occur to me that magazines will be different in other parts of the world, because (although that's an obvious DUH) I don't ever really think about. And such a thing would not be available to me if I were not in Austria because, well, I can't imagine Woman has a very high circulation rate. I mean, if you're not Austrian, why would you read it?

I'm going to compare Woman to Glamour or Redbook - for the average woman. Not as high-fashion as Vogue or Elle, but not as housewife-friendly as Ladies' Home Journal or as progressive as Ms. Just in the middle. Fluffy with important stuff, too.

I am looking forward to other exciting finds...Austrian soap operas, anyone?

Obviously.


No comments:

Post a Comment